Saturday, October 22, 2016

Poetry

I've come to realize that a great deal of emphasis was put on poetry during the 19th century. My understanding is that poetry is very difficult to sell to publishers today but this didn't seem to be the case in the 19th century. Admittedly, I've never been a huge fan of poetry, in large part because I didn't understand it. However, my husband was raised hearing and reading it and when he reads a poem it does come to life for me.

All of that is to say that I find these two poems interesting. They were published in 1847 by Rev J.L. Merrick. The two poems below express his arrival to Charleston, SC and his departure.

APPROACHING CHARLESTON, S.C.
Hail, Charleston! there you stand as when
I saw you first from ocean ;
I view your spires and domes again,
With thrilling deep emotion.

An invalid, from northern climes,
How kindly you received me ;
My grateful heart recalls the times
Your friendly hand relieved me.

A cloud upon my prospects then
With angry brow was low'ring,
That very cloud, like vernal rain,
Rich blessings on me show'rmg,

Has overpassed, and now the bow,
On its dark bosom glowing,
Betokens good the way I go,
Eternal life-seed sowing.

LEAVING CHARLESTON.
Farewell, dear Charleston friends, farewell!
I may no more return,
Yet e'er for you this heart will swell,
This grateful bosom burn.

When orient suns shall light my way
Through distant Moslim lands,
For you I still will fervent pray
Mid flowers or barren sands.

We'll meet each other at the throne
Where grace and joy are given ;
And when our pilgrim course is done,
We'll meet to dwell in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment