Thursday, November 17, 2016

Language of Flowers

One of my favorite movies is Kate & Leopold. There are a variety of reasons this film has become one of my favorites and I won't bore you with that list. But there is a scene in that film where Leopold is helping Kate's brother select the proper flower. I found it interesting and intriguing. Below is a post from Houghtaling's Handbook ©1887 entitled "Language of Flowers." Enjoy.

Language of Flowers

FLOWERS . . . . . . . SENTIMENTS
Acacia . . . . . . . Concealed love
Acacia, Rose . . . . . . . Friendship
Almond . . . . . . . Hope
Apple-Blossom . . . . . . . Preference
Arbor-Vitae . . . . . . . Unchanging friendship
Arbutus, Trailing . . . . . . . Welcome
Bachelor's Button . . . . . . . Hope in love
Bell Flower . . . . . . . Gratitude
Box . . . . . . . Constancy
Calla Lily . . . . . . . Feminine beauty
Cedar . . . . . . . I live for thee
China Aster . . . . . . . I will think of it
Chrysanthemum, Rose . . . . . . . I love
Clover, Red . . . . . . . Industry
Corn . . . . . . . Riches
Cowslip, American . . . . . . . You are my divinity
Daffodil . . . . . . . Chivalry
Dahlia . . . . . . . Forever thine
Daisy, Garden . . . . . . . I partake your sentiments
Daisy, White . . . . . . . Innocence
Daisy, Wild . . . . . . . I will think of it.
Dandelion . . . . . . . Coquetry
Elm, American . . . . . . . Patriotism
Forget-me-not . . . . . . . True love
Fuschia . . . . . . . The ambition of my love thus plagues itself
Fuschia, Scarlet . . . . . . . Taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment