Saturday, September 17, 2016

D.L. Moody

"I remember when I was a boy I used to try to walk across a field after the snow had fallen, and try to make a straight path; and as long as I kept my eye on a point at the other side of the field, I could make a straight path, but if I looked over my shoulder to see if I was walking straight, I would always walk crooked—always. And where I find people turning around to see how others walk, they always walk crooked. But if you want to walk straight through this world, keep your eye on the Captain of your salvation, who has gone within the vale. Just keep your eye on Him, and you will have peace and light.

I remember, too, I used to try to catch my shadow. I used to try to see if I could not jump over my head. I ran and jumped, but my head always kept just so far ahead of me. I never could catch my shadow, but I remember when I was a little boy, I was running with my face toward the sun, and I looked over my shoulder and I found my shadow coming after me.

And I find since I became a Christian, that if I keep my eye on the Son of Righteousness, peace and light and joy and everything follow in the train; but if I get my eye off Him, I always get into darkness and trouble. So if you want to keep in the light, keep your eye fixed on the Son of Righteousness and follow Him."

Excerpt from Dwight L. Moody:the man and his mission ©1900

D. L. Moody was one of the most well known evangelists during the 19th century. Moody converted to evangelical Christianity in 1855. He moved to Chicago in 1856. It was there that his ministry began.

No comments:

Post a Comment