Thursday, December 8, 2016

Watermaker 1870

While going over some 1870 censuses I came across a man who was born in Russia living in America who's occupation was listed as Watermaker. This occupation intrigued me. I do know that there were some people who converted sea water into fresh water and since the census was of a seacoast town that might have been his job as a watermaker. However, it has me searching the internet for other possible meanings.

The second alternative I came up with was a soda-water maker. Either of these are possible but I wonder if there are any other meanings for this occupation.

He's not Native America so we can think in terms of a rain maker.

I'm interested if anyone who reads this blog has ever run across this occupation, post a comment and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment