This is the second of a three part series on the various rail routes to Cincinnati, OH.
APPROACH NO. 2.
All trains over the Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Lafayette Railroad, the Cincinnati and St. Louis Railroad, and the Cincinnati and Chicago Railroad, pass through the suburbs as follows:
Note.—The White Water Valley Railroad comes in by this approach at Valley Junction, Ind.
La-wrenceburg, Ind. — 25 miles, with 4,000 inhabitants. A pleasantly-situated town; the home of many Cincinnati merchants.
Cleves, Ind.—16 miles, with 500 inhabitants. A flourishing village. Possesses a Presbyterian and a Methodist church and good public-school.
After leaving this place the train passes through a tunnel 1,500 feet in length.
North Bend, Ind.—15 miles, with about 50 inhabitants. The old home of Wm. Henry Harrison, once President of the United States. The old house is yet to be seen, on a delightfully elevated spot. Here the ashes of the aged hero repose, with only a crumbling brick tomb to mark the spot.
Delhi—11 miles, with 50 inhabitants. Handsomely situated on the Ohio River. It has three churches, a Masonic hall, and some tasteful residences.
Trautman's, or South Bend—8 miles; a small village, with Post-office.
Riverside—4 miles, with 500 inhabitants. Naturally a beautiful locality, extending along the Ohio River, and divided into three stations—Riverside, Southside, and Anderson's Ferry. Possesses a few fine residences. It has also a substantial Protestant Episcopal church.
Street-cars connect Riverside with the city.
Sedamsville—2$ miles; a station within the city, in the 21st Ward.
APPROACH NO. 3.
All trains over the Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad pass through the suburbs as follows:
Loveland—26 miles, with 600 inhabitants. The crossing of the Marietta; and Cincinnati with the Little Miami Railroad. It is built on high ground, on the banks of the Little Miami River, and has some beautiful scenery. It possesses three churches, one school-house, a Masonic hall, and has an Agricultural and Horticultural Society that has been in existence twenty years.
Symmes Station—22 miles, with about 150 inhabitants. Adjoins Branch Hill on the Little Miami Railroad. The Little Miami River flows between the two places, and they are connected with a handsome suspension bridge. The scenery in this vicinity is charming.
Remington—20 miles, with about 100 inhabitants. A new suburb, picturesquely situated. About one mile west of this place is Montgomery, an old established village with 500 inhabitants. The place has three churches and a school-house. Omnibuses connect with the trains.
Madisonville—13 miles, with 1,000 inhabitants. An old town, settled in 1809. Possesses three churches and a commodious school house. Has a Literary and Musical Association, besides a Masonic and Odd-fellows' hall.
Oakley—12 miles, with 250 inhabitants. Only five miles from the Court-house by the Madisonville turnpike. Contains a few good residences.
Norwood—10} miles, with 150 inhabitants. A handsome suburb. The Norwood heights, seen on the right, reach the greatest elevation in Hamilton County. An Indian mound, from which there is a most extensive and beautiful prospect, is one of the features of the place. This suburb is becoming the home of many prominent city merchants.
Bond Hill—9 miles, with about 100 inhabitants. A new place, settled in 1870.
Ludlow Grove—7J miles. Adjoins the village of St. Bernard, both with about 1,500 inhabitants. Less than twenty years ago this spot was covered with forest trees. It has now a large school-house, a post-office, and a number of handsome residences.
The Catholic cemetery and church of St. Bernard, with spire 170 feet, are seen from the cars.
Winton Place—(See Approach No. 1.)
APPROACH NO. 4.
All trains over the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railroad pass through the suburbs as follows:
Middletown—34 miles, with 4,000 inhabitants, situated pleasantly on the great Miami River. Possesses quite a number of tine residences.
Sharon—17 miles, with 500 inhabitants. A pleasantly situated village. Contains some handsome residences, the homes of Cincinnati merchants.
Newtown—10 miles, with about 600 inhabitants. A handsomely situated suburb. 'Lockland—See Approach No. 1.
Note—The Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, and Indianapolis track joins the track of the Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad at Ludlow Grove.
The Plum Street Depot, Plum Street, corner of Pearl, is within four squares of the Post-office, erected in 1863. Length, 400 feet; width, 64 feet. Has a ladies' and gentlemen's waiting-rooms, an eating-stand, and telegraph office. Sidings will accommodate 1,000 freight cars. Every twenty-four hours 23 passenger and 12 freight trains arrive, and the same number depart from the depot. The officers of the Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Louisville Railroad have their offices in the railroad building on Central Avenue and Pearl Streets. The round-house and shops of the different roads are down the track, about one mile from the depot.
The Ohio and Mississippi Depot is the terminus of the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad. All trains over the Ohio and Mississippi Road pass through the suburbs by the same route, as Approach No. 2.
Note—The trains of the Ohio and Mississippi stop only at Delhi.
The Ohio and Missisippi Depot, West Front Street, corner of Mill Street, is within fifteen minutes' walk of the Post-office. Erected in 1873. Has a ladies' and gentlemen's waiting-room, restaurant, and telegraph office. Every twenty-four hours 6 passenger and 5 freight trains arrive, and the same number depart from the depot. Head offices and shops in Saint Louis. Sidings will accommodate 600 freight cars.
The Little Miami Railroad Depot is the terminus of (he Pittsburg, Cincinnati, and St. Louis Railroad (commonly called the Little Miami, and nicknamed the Pan Handle route); the Louisville, Cincinnati and Lexington Railroad (called also the Louisville Short Line).
Note—The Cincinnati and Muskingum Valley Railroad joins this approach at Morrow.