Friday, September 30, 2016

Deed Box

Today we generally have safe deposit boxes or fireproof filing cabinets or safes in our homes where we put our deeds and titles. In the 19th century deed boxes ranged in sizes but most were slightly larger than a tri-fold paper. There were simple wooden boxes, tin boxes some had latches others didn't. I remember as a child finding one of these old boxes in the attic of my grandparents home. It was larger than most and contained a few treasures, that I cherished for many years growing up.

I've found on the internet auctions for Deed Boxes and some where quite large and filled with family letters, correspondence and receipts of all kinds. For a writer or a historian these are gems of history.

I mention them because today we generally don't even think in terms of deed boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment