Tuesday, August 9, 2016

How to Start a Balky Horse

I've never ridden a day in my life. I've always wanted to but the opportunity never presented itself. Someday I hope to but when is anyone's guess.

In Houghtaling's Handbook of Useful Information I came across this curious bit of information. I don't doubt the authenticity of the information but it does seem a bit strange. However, knowing most were using horses at the time of the writing of this book, I suppose they have a great deal more knowledge than we would today, except for horsemen today.

So according to Houghtaling:

How to Start a Balky Horse.
Take the Horse out of the shafts and make him go round in a circle till he is giddy; you will not have to do it more than twice.

That's it folks, I checked page 92 and it's a poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment